Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Past projects

With 3 small children, I find myself busy all the time.  However, I love to be as creative as possible so I am always creating new project to do.  It pretty much all started 2 years ago.

My parents had bought me a sewing machine for Christmas.  I wanted to learn how to make something that was quick and easy.  I researched and researched but could not decide upon one thing.  While doing all my research I stumbled across "How to make a hair bow."  It was all over after that.

I spent several months spending every dime I had on ribbons, buttons, clips and any other "neat" looking thing that would be cute on a bow.

Here is the most recent hair bow I made.


Over the past few years, I have made countless hair bows.  I have sold some, given some as gifts but mostly made them for my girls.  

I still make them occasionally.  Once I had to many bows to know what to do with them, I figured it was time for a new craft.

Since I have 3 kids, I have lots of birthday parties through out the year.  I got sick of buying cakes from the store.  So once again.... I researched and researched until I felt like I could make a cake all on my own.  I took a basic cake design class but really didn't learn anything in it.  I felt like I learned more on my own then I did in the class.

Just like before, I spent every dime I had on cake supplies.  I have a whole closet full of cake stuff.  The good thing about cake supplies is that they are always coming out with new items.  I think that I will enjoy making cakes for the rest of my life because it is never the same.  There are always new and improved techniques.

I figured I would start easy with a bridal shower cake for my sister


A few weeks later a friend of mine asked if I could make a cake for her son who was turning 8.
It was a bit more complicated but I felt like I could pull it off...


A few weeks after that was my daughter's birthday.  She was turning 2!  She is the biggest girly girl I know.  We had a "Tea Party" birthday party for her.  I had planned her cake for weeks on end until I finally came up with the perfect design.  

This was only my 3rd cake but I loved how it turned out.


Between the months of April and November, I have no birthdays to make cakes for.  I have gotten bored over the months.  Last week I decided it was time I start a new project.

I FINALLY broke out the sewing machine my parents had gotten for me.  It took a few days to be inspired.  Then my youngest got a note in her bag that her preschool were having fall pictures that week.  I had 2 days to prepare but I was set.... I WAS GOING TO MAKE HER AN OUTFIT!!!

I went to hobby lobby and found the perfect fabric and even got some ribbon to match.  


I also bought a plain white shirt and pants.


After a couple of hours at the sewing machine, this was the final product...



I also had enough material left over to make a dress for my niece for her birthday.  She loved it just as much as I did (sorry it isn't the best picture).


So now I have been searching for the perfect fabric for my next project(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment